Craig y Mwyn Mine, Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, Berwyn Mountains, Montgomeryshire [SJ
The history of this lead mine and the origins of the ancient opencast and spectacular
hushing activity visible from the east side of the Rhayader Valley have long remained
The mine was ancient when work re-started here in 1751, and as with many such sites,
local legend referred to this as being ‘Roman’.
Recently the system of leats and hushing channels responsible for the working of
the opencast have been surveyed by the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (Jones, Walters
& Frost 2004).
In 2002 the EMRG sectioned one of the feeder leats associated with a hushing tank
believed to have been in use towards the end of this early period of activity, and
a date of around 1350-1460 yrs cal AD was obtained from a peat infill representing
an earlier abandonment phase of this channel (Timberlake 2003b).
opencast with tanks and hush channels around its edge copyright RCAHM Wales
The implications of this are therefore, that the last hushing and mining was carried
out during the early medieval period – possibly linked to the mining interests of
the Cistercian monks.
New evidence available from peat cores extracted from an area of blanket bog above
the site now suggests that there was an earlier phase of Roman exploitation of the