Early Mines Research Group
Who We Are
Excavations
Surveys
Environmental Research
Experiments
Publications
Services
Grants Received
News & Updates
Links
Contact Us
Comet Lode - Copa Hill

 

Situated at the head of the Melindwr valley, this small overgrown opencast located some 100 m south of the 19th century engine shaft was the scene of the discovery of stone hammers, “wedges” and mortar stones when it was re-examined by working miners in 1866.

 

The EMRG surveyed these workings and excavated trenches into the north-east side of the grassy hillock to examine the very shallow and weathered spoil layers (Timberlake 1992).

 

A radiocarbon date of between 1885-1735 yrs cal B.C. was obtained from charcoal associated with hammer stone flakes.

 

 

 

Created by

SustainAbility.Net

 

 

 

This website was made possible by a grant from the Cambrian Archaeology Association