This mine is located on the eastern slopes of Plynlimon and close to the source of
the River Severn, yet the workings here are amongst the most isolated in mid-Wales.
Stone tools and an antler pick were found when these workings were cleared out in
1859, and as a result this was one of those sites Oliver Davies first looked at when
he came looking for ancient mines in Wales in 1937.
The river here now flows through the ancient opencuts, and it is tempting to think
that the silver and copper-rich lead veins were first discovered by prehistoric mineral
prospectors who were examining the river bed.
In 1988 the EMRG carried out several small excavations of an ancient spoil mound
some distance above the east edge of the river chasm, and dates of between 1900 and
1520 yrs cal BC were obtained from thick accumulations of charcoal.